Thursday, July 26, 2012

a sacred history

Awhile back My Love and I read in Sacred Marriage a chapter about your sacred history.  The author encouraged the reader to talk openly about the journey of your relationship with your children, friends, loved ones.  It is a sacred history that should be remembered.

In that light, Brother has been asking me to tell him spooky stories lately.  I think it sprung from our camping trip a few weeks ago but in any case I usually respond with, "Mommies don't know any scary stories."  That is when I try to tell some story of our family history to keep the sweet memories alive.

The very exercise triggered a panic in me.  Suddenly I had amnesia and couldn't remember a single moment of my life before today.  I mean, I could recall important memories like when my shirt sleeve caught on fire at Girl Scout camp in fourth grade.  And how My Love and I met and got engaged.  But everything in between and since seemed like a blur.  I couldn't even remember moments from my kiddos' young childhood.  Has this happened to any of you?

There have been so many amazingly wonderful memories.  Why can't I recall a single one?  The Enemy would like nothing more than for me to believe the history of our family is not full of gifts worth remembering.  That is how I so easily get stuck in the muck of today.

"Just look it up on the [private] blog," My Love said.  (Sidebar: Awww.  He knows I still have a blog.)  But he is right, there are lots of cute (and not so cute) moments shared there for my family and friends to see since Brother's first year.  I just wanted to have them all there on the tip of my tongue though.  And why weren't they there to pull from my mental filing cabinet?  Because I don't take the time to think upon them.  Instead I groan at the sight of her spilled milk into the cracks of the table and him eating spinach salad with fingers rather than the big boy fork to his left and me yelling "I told you to sit on your BOTTOM THREE TIMES ALREADY!" while enjoying a nice family dinner.  I fill my mind with annoyances and frustrations and long sighs.  I have grey hairs, people.

No, no, no.  I have this all wrong.  The sacred history of this imperfect family that God built should flood my thoughts hourly.  I should talk daily about the journeys we took through Europe together.  About bringing our tiny puppy home in a huge cage in the back of our Volvo.  I should remind Brother about the time he pooped out of his diaper in his new outfit right as our good friends were coming to meet him after just getting home from the hospital.  That was not our finest moment of peaceful communication, I tell you what.  But all these stories make up our family.  And the family we have today is a testimony of all God has done in and through us.  The more we talk about, the more God is glorified and we are blessed by our own history.

So I intend to start sharing (in person) the stories.  We all have a sacred history worth telling and God will be glorified as we dwell on all that he has blessed us with.  Give it a try.


Earlier this week the five of us climbed up in our bed and I took out a scrapbook I made for My Love during our first year of dating.  It was before we had digital cameras so the glossy prints are glued to the pages but the sentiment is still there.  The picture of me before our first date.  The ticket stub to our first movie.  A flyer from a Delirious concert we went to together.  Photos of so many firsts.  We looked like babies.  Do you have any such memory book or photo album from days gone by?  Consider pulling one out and sharing a bit of your family's sacred history with your loved one/s this week.  You'll be surprised how the sweet memories come flooding back.


Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

1 comment:

Persicke Family said...

LOVE this encouraging post Alexis! It is timely. Yesterday I was in the sewing room for hours (typical day for me) and instead of filling my mind with music or a tv program in the background, I enjoyed the silence of my thoughts. My mind was flooded with all kinds of memories and I think I was wearing a perma-smile. It is hard to quiet our minds and focus, especially with kids and distractions all around. But lets not let the enemy grab a foothold on our memories! It takes effort, but it is worth the effort! And I love that you want to share these memories with your children. The memory books is a WONDERFUL way to do that!! Love you and your family.